Play Video

Church of the Assumption

Site Location: The Church of The Assumption, Bride Street, Wexford
Quantity of trees planted: 1,000
Date planted: 14th December 2022
Site Owner: Wexford Parish Care for the Earth Group
Sponsor: Des Walsh

Acknowledgments

“We would like to acknowledge the Wexford Parish Care for the Earth Group who have made an area of their land available for this Miyawaki mini forest. We also acknowledge Cliona Connolly and Gerry Forde of Wexford County Council for organising the preparation of the site for planting. For the tree planters we thank Catriona Taylor, Laura Finn, Ruth and Don Short,Liam Mulcahy, Art Lynch, Conor Gleeson and Max Hillery.”

Trees planted

The following is a list of the 1,000 trees planted at this site.
Crataegus Monogyna(Whitethorn)
Prunus Spinosa (Blackthorn)
Corylus Avellana (Hazel)
Sorbus Acuparia (Rowan)
Sorbus Aria(Whitebeam)
Viburnum Opu;us (Guelder Rose)
Ilex Aquifolium (Holly)
Prunus Avium 9Irish Cherry)
Prunus Padus(Bird Cherry)
Malus Sylvestris( Common crab apple)
Euonymus Europeaus (Spindle)
 

Image Gallery

Site Details

Bride Street Church which is officially known as the Church of the Assumption was opened in 1858 and is one of Wexford’s “Twin Churches”.

The Twin Churches are the Church of the Assumption, Bride Street and the Church of the Immaculate Conception Rowe Street. They are architectural masterpieces by Wexford’s own gothic revival architect, Richard Pierce (1801 – 1854) from Kilmore. They represent an important component of the built heritage of County Wexford.

An Ordnance Survey map from the 1800s shows that St. Bridget’s Church was situated close to where Bride Street Church is today (by the 19th Century, the church would have been in ruins).

Church of the Assumption Bride Street was built by Thomas Willis and consists of a nave and side aisles with a tower on the western end of the nave and a handsome north and south porch leading into the respective aisles.

The Church is 166 feet in length and 60 feet in breadth, clear measurement. The towers which are 16 feet square have walls 5 feet thick and are 105 feet in height, being divided into four stages. The beautiful octagonal tapering spire is 222 feet from the basement of the Church to the crosses on top. 

An item of unusual interest may be seen outside the main door of Bride Street Church. It is known as “the Wexford Mosaic” – an artistic form of pebble paving in which natural stones of various colours are used to make a pattern. 

The Churches are built of local sandstone from Park Quarry and the granite is from Wicklow. The sandstone being of a reddish hue gives the buildings a rich warm appearance. The boundary walls are built of the same material and are furnished with beautiful wrought-iron railings made in Pierce’s Foundry. 

An outstanding feature of Bride Street Church is the O’Keefe Memorial Window signed (1919) by Harry Clarke (1889-1931) of Dublin. 

The name of Father Roche will be forever associated with the beautiful Churches of Wexford town. When Father James Roche took office as Parish Priest of Wexford in June, 1850, the decision to build two new parish churches had already been taken at a meeting held on January 27th of that year.

The estimated cost of the Churches was in the region of £16,000 each, for the completion of structure and essential interior furnishing. The actual cost of completing both Churches inside and out, the laying out of the grounds, the building of boundary walls, etc., was to cost much more (£54,000). 

Wexford Parish Care for the Earth Group was founded in 2022 by Bishop Ger Nash and Fr. Billy Swan in response to Pope Francis’s encyclical Laudato Si (Praise to you). This encyclical is a call to “all the people of good will….to care for the environment of which they are part” In January 2022, a small group with diverse talents met for the first time. Their mission is to highlight awareness of our moral obligation to care for the environment and the protection and safeguarding of biodiversity at parish level. 

The Group has clearly identified strategies that at parish level will help us play our part in advocating and promoting environmental sustainability. We are extremely grateful to the sponsors of this project for opting to plant this wonderful pocket forest in the grounds of Bride Street Church.

For more information, or if you can help to make our 100 Million Trees Project a success, please email us below